Blog Archive

Tuesday, October 20, 2020

Construction Log: August, 1981 Almost Ready to Launch

 


Bag End Trading Company's boat yard at the corner of Chestnut and Cornwall, with the new boat behind Bob's Super Saw Shop at 1121 Cornwall Avenue.  


Considering that my last entry, “Deadline,” strictly kept to business, I mean to meander for a few paragraphs here.  In past entries, time-traveling to 1979-80-81, I’ve relied on old journals, financial records, photos and present-day consultations with The Boss for details of the boat’s construction.  I’ve presented my thirty-year-old self as a devoted partner, right next to Richard in building the new boat. May I adjust that presentation?  There were a lot of YES, BUT ALSOs for me.      

I sanded and varnished finish pieces, swept the shop floor, and cut plugs to cover the endless fastenings.  Yes, but I also sought the writer’s life, the reporter’s life, spending hours absorbed with writing local news of Whatcom County and the Port of Bellingham.  The confrontations were huge:  Chicago Bridge and Iron was a multi-national corporation that wanted to spoil herring-spawning grounds and sacrifice the Dungeness crab fishery at Cherry Point for the sake of building off-shore oil-drilling rigs that would be sent to Alaska to ruin salmon fisheries there.

Building Abrazo commanded time and energy.  Stopping Chicago Bridge and Iron was ALSO important, not least because Richard’s shipwrighting business depended on the fishing industry. 

Progress in writing fiction also loomed important for me.  Short stories erupted from the life I’d lived before Richard, before this boat; The Great American Novel tempted … whatever the hell it might be about.  Notes and fragments accumulated on my desk, while long letters to loved ones carried my literary energies away into the distance, and existential anxiety over decision-making taxed my brain.  Right now, with this hour, should I help with the boat or ‘Do my own work’?  

Meanwhile, Richard devoted every fiber of his dynamic being to the construction of Abrazo … tolerating interruptions as best he could.  When his ailing father needed attention, Richard provided some.  When his wife had to stay up late writing whatever she wrote, he slept until dawn and got up to start his day alone.

My daily habit included journaling, often focused on the specifics of progress on the new boat.  ALSO, plenty of Incidents provoked me to write about my confoundment with this man, my spouse. 

For instance in my last blog entry, “Deadline,” I mentioned July 24, 1981 when “Our favorite photographer, Peter Fromm” stopped by the boat yard to check out our progress.  Peter arrived mid-morning, while Richard was focused on stretching canvas to cover the new boat’s cabin top.  Richard took a little time off to chat.

7-24-81  Friday   Fresh-baked chocolate chip cookies & coffee made the social hour calm & nice.  Fromm talked of making connection with the Island Historical Society; he could be working for them one of these days.  An environmental battle on Lopez revealed much wealth. 

“I’ll see about coming back this afternoon to catch a picture of the deck,” Peter said.  “Is it possible to get up on the roof?” 

I enthusiastically nodded yes, grinning with pleasure in hopes of another Fromm photo for my collection, while Richard, who had by now climbed back up to Abrazo’s deck, said “NO.” 

Peter squinted up at Richard with a big grin, then turned back to me & asked again, “Is it possible to get up on that roof?” 

I might have said, revealing my consternation with The Boss, “I don’t know.”  It’s possible I never did say anything.

After Peter grinned goodbye, I stood looking up at Richard, who ranted on for a few sentences.  “And why are you looking so dumbfounded?”  “What’s that look you’re giving me?”  “Don’t stand there giving me that look like you’re thinking of a way to get over on me….” 

I calmly said that I’m always dumbfounded when he comes out with these fiercely negative pronouncements.  I told him I was not going to bow & say, “Yes master whatever you say master.” 

He said I should at least get the landlord’s permission.  As I climbed up the ladder to continue my work, I said I could do that. 

We got back to work – I sanded the boomkin & Richard went back to Slade’s boom in the shop.  Soon his head popped over the bulwarks at the ladder with further comments on the Fromm photo possibility. 

Business, he said, was vital; and Fromm had never given him a good business deal.  “Business is my life.”  Then, admitting an iota of paranoia, he said his instincts were to refuse & he believed in following his instincts.  Finally, he described the stealing of ideas and details that would occur if Fromm’s deck photos got around.  Jay Benford, an island man, had already stolen ideas, etc. etc.

“Yes, but if you constipate the flow of ideas & info?” I said, still puzzled by his fears.

“I don’t want to constipate … but I will snip out the suckers that want to sap away my energies & ideas.” 

That made me laugh, thinking of his assiduous attention to pruning excess sprouts out of his tomato plants.  “Okay, Jose.  In the battle of the metaphor, you win.” 

[We were both great fans of John Nichols’ novel, The Milagro Beanfield War, in which Jose Mondragon is a quirky, defiant rebel with artistic sensibilities.] 

Later in the day, I was back on deck, sanding the cockpit again after getting it wrong earlier.  I saw Peter on his bicycle just the other side of the blackberries.  With hand signals he asked if he could go up on the roof to take a picture.  I shook my head NO, looking grim.  He hand-signaled what looked to me like he was going up to the sidewalk to get a view, and I smiled, nodding yes. 

Then I turned assiduously back to my second sanding & didn’t see any more of Peter. 

My own paranoia tinges my recall of the morning’s episode; this time aimed at Peter.  He had flattered me, praising my varnishing, when all he really wanted was to wangle a photo or two thru me, knowing that Richard would balk. 

Oh, well.  It’s Friday night … Richard and I are beat tired, but finally showered clean.   Maybe the fear of failure is striking again?  But Emmy Lou Harris is singin’ on the radio, & the cabin top canvas has been laid. We just might give each other some love tonight.  

 

Whatever photos Peter Fromm might have taken from the sidewalk that day had to have been practice shots.  He returned in late August, the morning of Launch Day, and captured this view of the foredeck above the blackberries, with Georgia Pacific’s pulp mill steaming beyond.     

 

 

Searching old journals to feed facts into a blog inspires time travel:  provocative, disturbing, triggering back into memory, turning up details sharp and clear from the murk of the past.  Moving backwards, moving forwards in history.    

Trauma to the rudder
Before posting that last blog entry, “Deadline,” with photos of mounting Abrazo’s rudder, I grilled Richard for what he remembered, asking specifically about the pintels and gudgeons that form the two upper hinges where rudder meets stern.  He’d carved patterns and had those pieces cast in manganese bronze.  The pintel’s design includes a pin that fit into the gudgeon’s hole.  He explained that the lowest hinge on Abrazo’s rudder, below the propeller, used a stainless steel shaft as the pin between two pieces of hardware.   
 
Describing these hardware bits flashed him forward in time from Abrazo’s construction, to the boat’s traumatic experience when she was moored at Marina El Manzano in Talcahuano, Chile.  The 8.8 earthquake on February 27, 2010 centered just offshore a little north of Talcahuano, caused a tsunami.  People believe that three giant waves, one of which left a water mark thirty feet above normal, scoured through the marina, carrying dozens of sailboats into the trees above the shoreline.  Abrazo, tied to a massive floating pontoon, probably rode those waves inland and back out toward the mangled breakwater where the pontoon’s anchor settled again.  She was one of five boats to survive the waves; and that’s another story.  Her rudder suffered a crack during the strain caused by those great waves, and the boat’s shape changed enough so that the rudder rubbed against the sternpost.  Richard had to remove the pintels and gudgeons in order to take the rudder down.  He shaved a bit off the stern post to make a new fit.

He eventually filled the crack with a wedge of yellow cedar, but he didn’t make that repair right away.  It wasn’t till after he’d sailed Abrazo south through Patagonian fjords and the Straits of Magellan to the Beagle Channel, and back again to Puerto Montt before the cracked rudder really needed attention.   

Ah, the stories yet to come!

--------------------------

Back to 1981.  We were so close to launching this boat, but our nerves were strained to their limits.    

August 18, 1981 - Tuesday:  Late in the day, while rolling copper paint onto the new boat’s bottom, we fling resentments and recriminations at each other, shouting “I’m only doing this for you.”  “What are you talking about?  I thought this was all for YOU!”  

Aye, matey, you have to survive some irrational moments in the voyage of a marriage. 

August 19:  After hours of sanding interior bulkheads, and another hour of rolling on more copper bottom paint, I wrote a letter to my father to brag about the marine surveyor’s verdict that had just come in:  Market Value is $125K, replacement value $150K, and the surveyor duly impressed with the quality of workmanship and materials.  

Cheeseburger Signs painted the new boat’s name.

   

Sunday, August 23.  Richard’s hammer rings out at 9 a.m.  He assured me this morning he would have the interior finished within a couple months.  My work today includes painting bulkheads, oiling caps and guards, rolling on more bottom paint. 

8-24:  Teflon packing for the stuffing box on the shaft.  Richard ordered a case of champagne for our Launch Day festivities.  Bill Modrell told us we had to hire a bagpiper to play the “Skye Boat Song” to  launch this boat, I made many phone calls trying to find a piper. 

8-25  Sid Hammond, principal of one of our local elementary schools, returned my call.  A member of The Bellingham Pipe Band, he owns a set of bagpipes, and is willing to pipe the boat into the water.  Tomorrow!  







No comments:

Post a Comment